from Korea: Chicken Day

Hello everyone,
Today we have a serious topic to talk about and that topic is Chicken.
One of my top favorite foods in Korea is their chicken. I don't just mean chicken nuggets from McDonalds; what I mean is their fried chicken. Fried chicken here is so different from what we're used to back home in the States. Also, fried chicken here is usually just called 'chicken.' In Korea, there are so many different flavors of chicken that you can get and they are all so dang delicious. There are flavors ranging from honey combo to snowing cheese. Even though some of the flavors may sound a little questionable and strange (such as soy sauce), trust me, they're all delicious. 

Recently, I had the chance to try a baked honey curry chicken flavor from Goobne Chicken (굽네치킨), and all I can say is "Oh My God." This chicken is baked, so obviously it is a little less fattening and bad for you when compared to regular fried chicken. However, that factor does not make it any less sinfully delicious. This chicken is sweet and spicy, soft yet a bit crunchy, and just all around amazing. I ordered the chicken right to my door so it was super convenient and easy. Actually, thats another topic to discuss later, food delivery in South Korea. I paid a total of 17,000 won for this box of chicken that came with a side of white radish (which normally always comes with chicken here) and a small baby can of pepsi. This box could have probably fed three or four people, but lucky for me, I only had to share it with one other person.

The box also came with a 'coupon.' These coupons are a normal thing amongst chicken delivery services. They are similar to those punch cards that you get at frozen yogurt joints or coffee shops; buy a certain number of cups and you get a free one. In this case, buy 10 boxes of chicken and you'll get one for a cheaper price. However, there are some companies that actually will give a free box of chicken. What a clever way of making me fat - making 'get a free box of chicken' my ultimate goal.

The reason why I decided on having chicken for dinner tonight was because I was told today was "Chicken Day" in Korea because it is 9/9/15, which in Korean is 구/구 "gu-gu." (That is apparently the sound that Koreans think chickens make) I don't really need a reason to eat amazing chicken, because chicken here is literally the best thing ever, but if its the so-called "Chicken Day," why not. 

Finally, it's picture time. 
Enjoy.

THE ULTIMATE SHIZ
Honey Curry (loved those little almond pieces)

Golden Skin

DA COUPON 

The mustard sauce *drool*
As you can possibly tell, I'm quite excited about chicken in Korea. I could probably eat chicken everyday because there are just so many flavors to choose from. I even kind of wish I could turn back time just so I could eat this meal over.

Here's a fun little story: I love Korean chicken so much that for my latest birthday, my boyfriend bought me an entire box of honey combo chicken as a present. Now, that's true love right there.


from Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment