Indoor Pets

Lately I've been into greenery and so I decided to make some terrariums to place around the house.
I choose a variety of cacti and succulents and they were all purchased in the gardening section of Walmart. (Cacti & Succulents are very easy to find! They're sold everywhere.)

My first project was surrounding this geometric terrarium that I found at Urban Outfitters  
I choose to plant 2 cacti and 1 succulent in this large glass case. 

The first thing I did was clean out the terrarium case and then added some soil to the very bottom of the case. Next, I de-potted the plants and placed them carefully and strategically into the glass case. Lastly, I took some white fish tank gravel, purchased from Walmart, and spread the gravel on the top of the soil. Very simple & easy!

--

I am very happy with the end product. However, I do wish I had measured how tall the glass terrarium was before I went to purchase the plants because having one taller planet would have been more ideal. Speaking of which, picking plants for the arrangement is very important. I feel that if one wants to make a nice and balanced terrarium arrangement, you really need to look at the height, shape, and color of your plants. Obviously having different types of plants such as cacti and succulents (not all cacti; not all succulents) is important too. I really tried to find plants that were not the same heigh as one another so there is more dimension in the arrangement. Also, having a pop of color is great! I also tried to differentiate the greens by choosing different plants with different shades of green.  


I had 2 plants left over that didn't fit in the geometric terrarium, so I decided to make use of some old mason jars and used the same exact technique to plants the left over cacti.  

In the end, this project was really fun and didn't actually take up a lot of time. I am satisfied with my new house "pets!" These would make really cute gifts for friends & family. Although this geometric terrarium is a bit pricey, there are many other options for terrariums (pretty much anything made from clear glass). Like I said, the cacti and succulents themselves are also quite cheap and easy to find. I used my father's garden's soil, but if you prefer you can get specialized cactus soil for better and more efficient planting! 


from Jackie 




No comments:

Post a Comment