Easiest Homemade Ice-Cream Ever!

Hello friends!
Hope you guys had a wonderful father's day with you daddies! I sure did.
This year, I was short on time and money, so I decided to whip up something in the kitchen for my old man. My dad loves ice-cream and he always talks about when he was younger and how he use to make and sell homemade ice-cream. So, I figured I would give ice-cream making a go! I personally do no own a ice-cream machine, but I found a awesome recipe for homemade ice-cream without the machine online!
 Here's the link to the original ice-cream base video and the written recipe by Gemma Stafford!

Overall, the process is super easy! All you really need to do is make the simple ice-cream base and then mix the base with any flavor that you like and you have some delicious ice-cream! My dad is a huge chocolate fan, so I decided to make him a chocolate and almond mix. After telling my mom about my plans, she asked me to make her a durian flavor. (for those who don't know, durian is that huge spiky southeast asian fruit that has a very particular smell and taste - you either love it or hate it) My mom had some durian flesh in the freezer so I thought it would be a good experiment to try to make the chocolate ice-cream and a fruit flavored ice-cream! 

Let's get into the ice-cream making now!


Ingredients
  • Ice-Cream Base
    • 1 pint (473 mL) of heavy whipping cream 
    • 1 can (14 oz) of sweetened condensed milk (I used fat-free because it's a little less sweet)
      • *make sure both of these ingredients are cold - stick them in the fridge for 24 hrs before you start to make the base
  • Flavoring for chocolate-almond
    • 5-6 squares of fine quality chocolate ( I used Ghirardelli chocolate squares Dark 60% Cacao) 
    • 1/2 cup of crushed almonds
  • Flavoring for durian (any fruit)
    • 2 oz of fruit flesh (to your tasting, depends on just how fruity you want your ice-cream to be and how strong the flavor of your fruit is)
ingredients for ice-cream base

Instructions:

1. to make the base, all you need to do is pour the entire pint of heavy whipping cream into a large mixing bowl (metal or glass is best) and mix the cream with a hand mixer on medium until you reach soft-peaks. (if you have a standing mixer, that's even better!)
from this

to this
around 1.5 pints


then, you're going to pour the entire can of condensed milk into the mixture and continue to mix until it is all incorporated in together. I then split the base into 2 large bowls, because I was making 2 flavors, but this amount of base can serve 3 pints of ice-cream. (a tip to know when your cream is ready is when you lift up the mixer and the cream bends over, but doesn't fall off the attachment) 

2. Now's the fun part! We're going to flavor our base. Since I was making a chocolate flavor, I had to melt my chocolate first. I chopped up the chocolate squares and put them into a large heat proof bowl. I then placed the bowl on top of a pot of 1 inch water and melted it on low. 

Next, all you need to do is add the melted chocolate into the ice-cream base and mix it up! I just simply used a spoon and mixed the the 2 together and then I added my almonds once the base and the chocolate had come together. 




*For the durian flavor, I just popped the fruit's flesh into a food processor and added a tiny bit of water to make it a little runny and added that mixture into the ice-cream base and mixed it with a spoon. 
3. Lastly, you're going to pot your delicious creation! You can purchase real ice-cream tubs online or even at Williams Sonoma (or any kitchen appliance store), but I wanted to use what we had at home so I found these plastic containers in my mom's cabinet of plastic containers and placed the cream into the containers. 
I also printed out some labels and taped it onto the containers. However, you can definitely get more creative than me and create cuter names or labels. 
chocolate almond & 


5. You're going to want to keep these in the freezer for 6+ hours (overnight is ideal) before serving!

I was so happy with the results of my ice-cream and so was my dad! He loved the chocolate almond ice-cream and my mom also looooved her durian flavored ice-cream. (I don't even like durian, but this ice-cream was actually pretty good!) The chocolate almond came out super well. It was sweet, but not too sweet because I used dark chocolate. Overall, you guys should definitely give this recipe a chance because it's super easy to make, yet the results are delicious! 

papa eating his ice-cream

from Jackie

1 comment: