Samcheong-dong

Hi friends!
Before I start the post, I just wanted to mention that if you would like to see more of my adventures in Seoul, you can follow me on snapchat (jayttien) and/or follow me on Instagram @jackietien!

Today I will be talking about one of my favorite neighborhoods in Seoul! 
(Finally a post about something other than food!) 
I've been to Seoul quite a few times and every time I come here, I always try to hit up this neighborhood called Samcheong-dong (삼청동). It is apart of the Jongno-gu district and is super close to Gwanghwamun Plaza, Gyeongbok Palace, Insadon, Hanok Village, and the Vietnamese Consulate. (go Vietnam!)


Samcheong-dong has a lot of character. It is filled with restored hanoks, traditional Korean houses, that are sometimes turned into cafes and restaurants. Samcheong-dong is also filled with many little shops that sell handmade items and boutiques. The Museum of Modern Art is just right around the corner, so there are many public art pieces and murals everywhere. Overall, the vibe here is very chill and easy-going. This is a lovely place to go on a date with your boyfriend or just a few of your girlfriends.







One of my favorite things about Samcheong-dong is, of course, the food. Besides the delicious and cute cafes here, one item in particular that stands out in my mind are the rice cake skewers (떡꼬치). I already love Korean rice cake in it's original form, but when it is fried and slathered with spicy and sweet sauce, I am even more obsessed. For only 1,000 (approximately $1.00), you can get a skewer with 5-6 rice cakes. This snack is surprisingly filling and can keep you going for the rest of your walk through the neighborhood.



As mentioned previously, Insadong is in walking distance from here. Insadong is a really tourist aimed area filled with souvenir shops and restaurants. It also has many Hanbok, Korean traditional dresses, shops that let you rent a Hanbok for a few hours or an entire day. Many people rent Hanboks and walk around Insadong and go into Samcheong-dong too. I did also see a few Hanbok renting stores in Samcheong-dong too. Renting a Hanbok could be a fun activities for you and your friends because not only do you get to experience wearing a beautiful and colorful traditional dress, but since it's so close, you can walk around to beautiful area and take lots of photos.


From Insadong to the edge of Samcheong-dong, it took me around an hour to walk the entire neighborhood. Of course, this depends on your pace, but I was just strolling along, eating, and taking photos so you could be faster than me. However, this beautiful area really does deserve a visit! I love all the small quirky and cute things you can find here. It isn't the usual posh and clean Seoul that you see at the big malls. Sometimes I come here purely to walk around and to feel the good vibes that the people here exert. This neighborhood is truly a unique and special place to me. 








look at me, making blog posts :) yay for keeping up!


from Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment